Sunday, October 29, 2017

Visit from Elder Zeballos

Hi everyone!

So this week was pretty crazy! It was super fun, and I learned a bunch, but it was definitely rather tiring. We drove around basically the entire mission! Haha but it was great.

Basically what made this week so crazy was the visit of Elder Zeballos of the Seventy. He´s so awesome! I learned so much from him and his wife. I´m so grateful for the opportunity I had to meet him! My companion and I gave a presentation in both multi-zone conferences which we were super nervous for, but it turned out pretty well. I also sang Savior, Redeemer of my Soul in a trio with Elder Prior and Elder Serr in the first conference. It was super fun, and I think it sounded pretty good!

Elder Zeballos talked a lot about the importance of teaching repentance and helping our investigators have their own spiritual experiences. He talked about how a lot of times as missionaries we try so hard to do our part to get investigators to read, pray, and go to church, which is good, but sometimes we do so much ourselves that we get in the way of them having their own experiences. It was really cool, and something I definitely needed to learn!

We even were able to put it into practice literally hours after the last multi-zone conference! I went with Elder Prior to visit an investigator Juan Gabriel. His girlfriend Marleni also listened in on the lesson. We taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Generally in that lesson, our main focus is baptism, mostly because we want our investigators to get baptized. But after what we had learned in the conference, I decided it´d be better to focus more on repentance. The Spirit was really able to help them understand what repentance is, and they even expressed to us their willingness to repent of their sins. After having focused on that, talking about baptism just became something so natural that they accepted a baptismal date for November 5th without hesitation! We were so happy. Unfortunately they did not attend church yesterday, so we´re going to have to keep helping them learn how to keep commitments, but I´m so excited for them because I know they will get baptized soon.

Elder Zeballos also talked to us about how important is for us North Americans to learn as much Spanish as possible and for the Latinos to learn English! We decided to take an idea he had shared and today my companion and I are having an English day. I´m speaking to him in almost total English, and he (almost) always responds in English. He´s doing so well! Haha and it´s really fun as well.

I love you all! Just so you all know, next Monday will most likely be the last time I write home. So if there is anything you all would like me to know before I get home, be sure to write me this week! :)

-Elder Thomas

P.S. A picture of the singing trio and pictures with Elder Zeballos and his wife.





No comments:

Post a Comment